The Rosslyn Farms Community Center is the signature landmark of the community. Built in 1910 as a one classroom schoolhouse with two more classrooms and an auditorium/gymnasium added in 1926, the building was dedicated as a Community Center on July 4, 1976, as Rosslyn Farms and the nation celebrated the Bicentennial.
From 1910 until the late 60's, Rosslyn Farms supported its own elementary school, educating children in grades one through eight. Two grades were taught in each classroom, much to the benefit of the students. In 1966, under state mandate to consolidate small school districts, Rosslyn Farms joined Carnegie and Crafton to create the Carlynton School District.
From 1969 until 1972, the building was home to the Kindergarten program for the new school district. It became the administrative center for the district from 1972 until 1975. The building then sat vacant for a year until it was purchased by the Borough in February, 1976, for $15,000 for use as a community center. Once again, Rosslyn Farms had its beloved "old schoolhouse," the hub of community life.
Currently the building houses a large meeting/party room with kitchen and an auditorium/gymnasium which are available to rent, the Second Helping Shop (resale), and the community library. The shop and library are open Thursdays from 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m., and Saturdays from noon to 3:00 p.m., and staffed by community volunteers.
For information about rentals, please contact Mildred Calvert, Chairperson, 412-276-4428.
SECOND HELPING SHOP
Thursdays - 1:00 to 3:00 p.m.
Saturday - Noon to 3:00 p.m.